Friday, October 13, 2006

But Can You Wait?

In our neighborhood (I don't know about yours), we have several "wanderers." They are the men and women of our area who, whether they have a home or not, always seem to be wandering the streets. I'm not saying this is, of itself, necessarily good or bad, but simply fact. In Hebrews 11, the Bible actually commends similar wandering because it is by faith in Christ's superiority. Last night, God gave me another opportunity to talk to one of our neighborhood's wanderers, who is also one of my friends. Let's call him T.

Our conversation came to a head about midway through. After we discussed faith in God's provision, T was explaining to me why he was having such a hard time going without a job or a house. "Man, I want to be married and have a family and have a home, like you, Britt. And, look at these shoes (he grabs his actually fairly nice pair of basketball shoes), I need better shoes. I just, I like nice things. I can't live like this," he explained.

I simply looked him in the eye and said, "But can you wait for it? Even if you never have your own house for the rest of your life, Jesus has promised us mansions better than this world could ever offer, better than the richest man in the world has ever had. Can you wait for it and look there instead?"

So, can you wait? Can I?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home