Thursday, May 15, 2008

God's Grace in a Bicycle Crash

So I was rolling down my neighborhood street the other day on my bicycle, just going for a cruise and trying to get some exercise - then the chain comes off, my foot slides off into the asphalt, my leg bends, my knee collides with the ground, the bike falls on my leg, and my entire upper body slams into the road. It was a whole lot of "Yaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!" and not a lot of fun.

As I sat on the curb of the road, bleeding from several joints, I was able, by the grace of God, to see how much worse that crash could have been. This blog is often spent on polemical (argumentative) theology that I wanted to tell you, dear reader, about the abundant, simple, personal grace of God in my life. In this case, it was in a bicycle crash.

  • I could have gotten a concussion from slamming my head into the asphalt, but I didn't. God protected me with a bike helmet.
  • I could have broken my glasses, shattering the glass into my eye and forehead, but I didn't. God protected me with my bike helmet.
  • I could have broken a shoulder or an elbow, but I didn't. God protected me by choosing a safe, slow-riding time for the bike chain to come off.
  • I could have broken my knee or ankle, but I didn't. God protected me by causing me to fall in a safe manner.


  • God has tons of grace - grace that does much more than protect His people from bike crashes! - grace that saves and enables and strengthens and sustains and forgives and redeems and keeps and brings us to Himself forever. So the other day, I thanked the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ for such a small display of His all-controlling power and grace.

    Labels: ,

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home