Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Praise the Lord for E-Sword !!

E-sword is incredible.

I have been using this free (yes, free), searchable, fully-customizable, loaded-with-extras Bible program for four or five years now, but lately some of the newer plugins are astounding me.

I currently run it with this setup (in case you want to take notes):
  • Bibles: KJV, ESV, ISV, several Greek NTs (GNT), Hebrew Old Testament, Septuagint (LXX)
  • Dictionaries: Strong's (standard), BDB, Thayer
  • Commentaries: John Gill, Matthew Henry, Jamieson Fausset Brown, Keil & Delitzsch, Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
  • Extras: Doctrinal Works in the Reformed Tradition, Calvin's Institutes of the Christian Religion, Luther's Concerning Christian Liberty, Ante-Nicene Fathers, Schaff's History of the Church, Westminster Confession, and Fox's Book of Martyrs
  • STEP Libraries (which function outside of the program's window): John Bunyan's entire collection, JC Ryle's entire collection, and John Newton's entire collection
Some of the more astounding features are:
  • the ability to view your favorite commentaries (Gill, Henry, K&D, Spurgeon) while reading the text
  • the freedom to search in English, Hebrew, and Greek
  • and the ability to make your own commentary inside the program!!!
Tonight, another download amazed me, and it's something I've been looking for and working on for the last five years: a commentary that just displays intra-Biblical word links. The "Treasury of Scripture Knowledge" in the commentary section is just that. Take, for instance, Revelation 2-3. I was doing a study on the seven churches, and I noticed that Jesus often uses phrases that sound like you've heard them before. Well, I just click on the verse, and the TSK commentary pops up several words that have links to the other parts of Scripture in which they occur.

In case that doesn't make sense, here's an example: Rev. 3:3
Remember, then, what you received and heard. Keep it, and repent. If you will not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what hour I will come against you.
Now I read that verse and realize that Jesus has said in other parts of the Bible that He will come like a thief. Well, I click over the the Treasury of Scripture Knowledge and it tells me exactly where He has said that! Amazing!

Praise the Lord for whoever put this commentary together, and for Rick Myers, who built and maintains E-Sword out of his own pocket and time. Christ the Lord is truly using him.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home