Thursday, May 10, 2007

Disagreeing with JE on "Disembodied Spirits"

So I am reading Jonathan Edwards wonderful, God-centered work, Religious Affections. I like Edwards’ preliminary qualifications in Part I, Sect. I. He lays out some important distinctions and admissions – how the understanding and will work together, how the will works in approving and disapproving, the imperfection of language, and the interactings of the mind and body.

I disagree with him, for the first time I can remember, at the end of Section I, on the right side of p. 237 in the Works, when he writes, “an unembodied spirit may be capable of love and hatred, joy or sorrow, hope or fear, or other affections, as one that is united to a body.” He is trying to say that the mind is what is important in seeing and feeling for what is good or evil, but I’m unsure that he can support this particular assertion scripturally. One might point to Isaiah 6, where the seraphim fly and cry out to one another, “Holy, holy, holy is the LORD of hosts,” but that would likely go too far.

Disembodied spirits may be able to have similar affections, but they may not. If they have them at all, they are most likely very different from the affections of mortal man, who, though corrupted, was originally the one race made in God’s own image. Edwards here, I’m sad to say, skirts the line with Gnosticism.

“Bodies are not meant to be thrown away,” one God-centered teacher of mine once said, and he was right because he was reading the Bible. Speaking of life after death, Job says, “In my flesh I will see God.” This is important, and we ought not get it wrong. There is something special and unique about the God-given affections and feelings that men have and will have for God. So I will part with the great Pastor Edwards here.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Martin Graham said...

Good point. I don't think I would totally disagree with Edwards, however. God is Spirit and is perfectly able to have emotions. However, I think disembodied spirits have a form of emotions as defined simply by their existence in the image of God, but I think the fullness of eternal emotions will not be realized until the resurrection. Otherwise, I don't think there would be anything to look forward to in the resurrection. Just my thoughts, but you make a great point nonetheless.

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home